Joaquin Archivaldo Guzman Loera aka El Chapo is a mexican drug lord and former learder of Sinaloa cartel, an international crime syndicate. El Chapo is considered to have been the most powerful drug trafficker in the world. Guzman founded his own cartel in 1988 after Gallardo’s arrest, one of the drug lords in the 1980s. here are some interesting facts about El Chapo, a man considered as one of the worlds most powerful traffickers
- El Chapo was able to smuggle cocaine, marijuana, methamphetamine and heroin into the United States of America and Europe, a market considered as the worlds greatest users of the above mentioned drugs. El Chapo is said to have smuggled drugs to America and Europe than any other drug trafficker in history. He achieved this by creating long range tunnels and distributing cells across borders.
- Between 2009 and 2013, Forbes magazine ranked him as one of the most powerful in the world. between that period, Drug Enforcement Administration estimated his wealth and influence to have matched the worlds greatest drug lord, Pablo Escobar.
- El Chapo was first apprehended in 1993 in Mesico, Guatemala where he was extradited and sentenced to 20 years in prison in Mexico prison on charges of drug trafficking and murder. Guzman was able to escape prison for the very first time by bribing prison guards from a federal maximum security prison after 8 years in 2001
- His status as a fugitive resulted in an 8.8 million American dollar bounty placed on him for anyone who could assist in his arrest in USA or Mexico. El Chapo was arrested again in 2014 where he again escaped prior to formal sentencing a year later through a tunnel under his prison cell. He was later captured again in 2016 by Mexican authorities through a shoot not to kill incident where he was extradited to America. In 2019, El Chapo was found guilty of murder and other criminal charges in relation to Sinaloa cartel where he is currently in prison saving life sentence
- His estimated worth is 14 billion American dollars, making him the biggest drug lord in history after Pablo Escobar whose estimated worth was around 122 billion dollars