Government of the United Kingdom has made a U-turn on free school meals after Manchester United forward, Marcus Rashford spoke on the matter. The spokesman for Boris Johnson explained that ‘the prime minister fully understands children and parents face an entirely unprecedented situation over the summer’
“Owing to the coronavirus pandemic, the Prime minister fully understands that children and parents face an entirely unprecedented situation over the summer. This will provide food vouchers covering the six day holiday period”
Marcus Rashford wrote an emotional open letter to members of parliament. In the letter, he stated “the system isn’t built for families like mine to succeed”
Department of education had earlier said it won’t reverse its decision but Downing street now says children are eligible for free school meals in term time in England and would get a six weeks voucher.
The government has therefore extended its free meal voucher scheme through a £120 million Summer Food Fund after Rashford’s campaign, which called for a U-turn in the government’s plan not to offer meals during the holidays.
Journalist Piers Morgan posted a message on Twitter to confirmed it.
BREAKING: No10 announces U-turn on free school meals over summer holidays for 1.3m vulnerable children.
A magnificent victory for @MarcusRashford. 👏👏👏
— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) June 16, 2020
“This is a specific measure to reflect the unique circumstances of the pandemic. The scheme will not continue beyond the summer and those eligible will be those who already qualify for free school meals” labour leader sir Keir Starmer said
Source sky news